Sunday, April 08, 2007

Vてある and Vている

I am having trouble understanding the uses of the Vてある and Vている structures.
What is most difficult is understanding why Japanese language finds it necessary to differentiate between a state that is the result of an action by someone for a specific purpose, and simply a description of a state.

Fukai sensei said that the Vてある has no equivalent in English.
My question is, why is it necessary to make this distinction in the first place?

まどがあいています。The window is open.
まどがあけてあります。The window has been opened. (by someone for some reason)


But what use is it when the person that has done the action or the reason for taking the action that resulted in the window being open is not explicitly stated? Of course it follows from the context, "She thought it was cold. The window has been opened." But ostensibly, isn't there a possible reason or explanation for any act and a person behind most acts?

Does this mean that when describing things or situations in which people are involved, most will be in this Vてある form? Or only in situations where a specific action is taken and one knows there is a purpose behind it?

The test was difficult. (written by the teacher to test the students?)
Dinner was made (by Father, for the family?)
The books are on the table over there (to be used later by the teacher)

2 Comments:

Blogger jiy0ung2 said...

りーさん~こんいちは!わたしはベクです。I take chinese too and I don't know much but I'm assuming that Chinese doesn't have this pattern of grammar. PHEW! haha I think Korea has it though, so it's not that hard to explain. I think to think of it simply it may be like...te.i.ru is just like stating the present condition of something. and te.a.ru is stating the present condition of something+plus a little bit more information. As for the reason...i think it's just for the sake of adding a nuance that implies something is the way it is in its present state not out of no where but because of an outside source/cause. I don't know if i'm making any sense, but hopefully I didn't confuse you at least haha. See you in class!!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Lidia Bardhi said...

konnichiwa li-san,

I totally understand where you are coming from. I was so confused after we were introduced the new material on te-aru. There really shouldn't be any differentiation I think because regardless every action has a reason for it to be done. Whether one mentions the reason or not does not conclude that the action had a reason or not, because every action has a reason...Many times the reason for doing something is understood from the context. im still trying to teach myself the rules so that when the test comes around I don't completely reverse all my answers or freeze. I understand your frustration though.

Bardhi

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home